Friday, September 14th at 5:00 p.m. on My Community is Durham, Rogers Cable 10, Louise Johnson, former DIL worker and Honourary Patron for the Bomb Girls Legacy Campaign will describe her years working at Defence Industries Limited. Colleen Jordan, Chair of the Campaign will also talk about our two year fund raising campaign to commission a monument to the women munitions workers and our “Shell-a-bration” being held Sept. 28th at Deer Creek Golf and Banquet Facility, Ajax.
Be sure to check this out!!
Aside from being one of the best restaurants in Ajax, Magwyers Pub located at 105 Bayly St. West in Ajax is also a huge supporter of community initiatives. Their commitment to community involvement and local charities has been clearly identified over the past couple months as they’ve diligently supported the Ajax Bomb Girls Legacy Campaign. Not only has the Pub put up numerous posters throughout the restaurant, but they have also kept tickets on hand to sell to interested customers and to go even further, they have included a poster advertising the Bomb Girls’ upcoming Shell-Abration Fundraiser on the cover of their menus. Owners, Tom and Crystal have also been gracious enough to provide the event with a prize to be auctioned off on September 28th at Deer Creek Golf and Banquet Facility for the Shell-Abration.
We can’t thank Magwyers Pub enough for their commitment, dedication and support towards our campaign. Check out the photo below for a sneak peak of our advertising on the Magwyers Pub menus.
Be sure to stop by Magwyers Pub at 105 Bayly St West and check out their Facebook page by following this link: https://www.facebook.com/magwyers.pub
Check out this great news article about our Legacy Campaign and our recent visit to the Ontario Regiment Museum.
This morning, Ajax Bomb Girls Committee Member, Colleen Jordan was interviewed by Terry Johnson on CKDO Radio! If you missed it, follow the link below to listen! Thanks for your help and support CKDO!
The Ajax Bomb Girls visited the Ontario Regiment Museum, Oshawa. Over 70 vehicles are on display such as tanks, armoured personnel carriers, jeeps, trucks and artifacts dating back to 1864. It was an interesting
and informative tour of the military heritage of our Region dating back to 1866.
For more information on the museum visit www.ontrmuseum.ca. Also, be sure to check out and ‘Like’ their Facebook page. This can be found at http://www.facebook.com/Ontario.Regiment.Museum
Check out these photos from our visit!
Thank you very much to Bob Chapman Colonel (Retired) Oshawa Regional Councillor & President of The Ontario Regiment Association for arranging the visit. Many thanks to The Ontario Regiment for their warm welcome, support and assistance with our campaign.
Committee members Colleen Jordan and Cherry Sevigny, along with Colonel (Retired) Bob Chapman, Oshawa Regional Councillor and President of The Ontario Regiment Association, Honourary Colonel of The Ontario Regiment and Scugog Mayor, Chuck Mercier as well as Reid Sevigny had a BLAST at a recent photo-shoot to promote the Ajax Bomb Girls Legacy Campaign fundraiser on September 28th at Deer Creek Golf and Banquet Facility.
The shoot was complete with 1940s-style costumes, a vintage vehicle and the 25 millionth shell produced at Defence Industries Limited (DIL).
Special thanks to Bob Chapman, Chuck Mercier and Reid Sevigny for braving the heat that day to help us out! Also, many thanks to the Oshawa Automotive Museum for the use of the 1940s vintage vehicle and Mackie Transportation for helping us get the car to Deer Creek Golf and Banquet Facility- We had such a BLAST taking these photos!
Check out these pictures from the photo-shoot!
To view more photos, check out our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/AjaxBombGirls
If you are unable to attend our September 28th fundraising event, but would still like to show your support, consider donating or sponsoring a ticket. Donated tickets will be given to local veterans and/or senior citizens that were involved with DIL throughout the war years.
For more information on how to purchase and donate a ticket, e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 905-619-2529 ext. 3335.
Thank you in advance for your support!
Are you attending our September 28th Shell-abration Fundraising event and want to ensure that you really feel that 1940s atmosphere? Consider wearing a costume to the event! Wearing a 1940s themed costume will not only enhance the authenticity of the entire evening, but it is sure to be a great conversation piece as well! Not sure what to wear? Check out our ‘Shell-abration Countdown Checklist’ below for some great ideas about 1940s fashion and style.
For your convenience, here is a list of local thrift stores that have committed to providing our guests with assistance in finding a costume for the event. Some of these stores have even dedicate entire clothing racks to 1940s clothing!
Salvation Army- 282 Monarch Avenue (Ajax), 905-428-3997
Value Village- 155 Harwood Avenue (Ajax), 905-427-9338
Good Will- 250 Bayly Street W. (Ajax), 905-428-9130
There is just over one month to go until our fundraising kick off. The Shell-abration will be held on September 28th, 2012 at Deer Creek Golf and Banquet Facility. Tickets are sure to sell quickly so don’t miss out on this great fundraising event to honour the women of Defence Industries Limited! All proceeds will go to the Ajax Bomb Girls Legacy Campaign to commission a monument.
Be sure to read over our SHELL-ABRATION CHECKLIST, to make sure you’ve remembered everything!
Do you have your tickets?
- If not, tickets are $100 and can be purchased at the following locations:
Ajax Town Hall– 65 Harwood Ave. S.
Ajax Community Centre- 75 Centennial Rd.
McLean Community Centre- 95 Magill Dr.
St. Francis Centre- 78 Church St. S.
Or by e-mail at email@example.com
- Tickets are also available for purchase through the telephone using VISA as payment. For your convenience, simply call the Ajax Community Centre, McLean Community Centre or the St. Francis Centre box offices to purchase your tickets using Visa as payment. Once your purchase has been confirmed over the phone, staff will reserve your tickets until you pick them up. Phone numbers for Town of Ajax Box Offices are below:
Ajax Community Centre: 905-683-3740
McLean Community Centre: 905-428-7711
St. Francis Centre: 905-619-2529 ext. 2787
- Tickets to this event would also make for a great birthday or anniversary gift for your loved one!
- Don’t forget to purchase your tickets BEFORE the event!
Do you have your costume?
- Costumes are optional, but will surely enhance your experience. Our Shell-abration Committee has made it their goal to ensure that all guests have a ‘blast’ in an authentic looking environment.
- Military uniform based on what would have been used during the 1940s is sure to be a popular choice for guests
- If this doesn’t suit your fancy, try out our other suggestions: factory employee, military nurse, vintage dresses and suits, swing dance attire, or anything else 1940s related!
- Hair and make-up are also a great way to enhance your costume
- Check out the internet for photos if you need more suggestions or want to see how someone during the 1940s looked
- Be creative with your outfits!
Are you ready to have a GREAT time?
- Our goal is for all of our guests to have a wonderful evening. Our plans for decor, music, prizes and food have ensured that guests will have a ‘blast’. The evening will include dinner and dancing followed by several other great features that will make your night even more fun!
- The event will feature silent and live auctions for you to bid on- remember proceeds from the event will be going towards our fundraising campaign to commission a monument honouring the women of Defence Industries
- The Brian Rose Band has committed to providing live music throughout the evening- bring your dancing shoes!
- Raffle tickets and prizes will also be available for purchase throughout the night- don’t miss out!
If you aren’t quite as ready as you thought for our Shell-abration, there is still time- but don’t wait much longer! Tickets are still available and you still have time to put together something great to wear if you are hoping to wear a costume. Don’t miss out on this event!
If you’ve said ‘YES’ to all of the items on our SHELL-ABRATION CHECKLIST, then we thank you for your support and look forward to seeing you on September 28th for a great evening. Bring your smiles and be ready to have a ‘blast’!
The Ajax Bomb Girls Committee had the pleasure of getting together with our Honourary Patron, Louise Johnson. Louise is a former employee of Defence Industries and still resides in Ajax. This was a great opportunity for members to talk to Louise about her experiences before, during and after DIL. She is truly an amazing woman. Thank you Louise for spending time with us and giving us the opportunity to hear your story. We hope that we are making you proud.
Front Row: Left to Right
Dale Barrett, Louise Johnson (Honourary Patron and former DIL employee), Olive Struthers, Margaret Yeomans
Back Row: Left to Right
Pat Clark, Gina Love, Wilma Graham, Judy Sherlock, Sherry Robinson, Pam Little, Cheryl Lathem, Kaitlin Ireland, Cherry Sevigny, Colleen Jordan
Absent: Pat Brown, Diana Calderwood, Rosalind Menary, Lindsay Hawkins, Marley LaFleche, Michelle Makos, Ann Gifford, Rhonda Randazzo, Lorna McGrath (Photo Courtesy of Lorna)